Thursday, January 14, 2016

Suspended Bob

So I was watching a video interview with a reporter and a lawyer for the recreational drone industry and they touched on the fact that there has not been one known fatality in the world attributed to hobby drones.* Yet there is all this doom and gloom in the media. And then the reporter said, “Bleed leads”. That’s right, no blood no story. Even if you have to make up the blood part. Also, when a cat gets rescued there needs to be a drone to attribute the rescue to. Blood and cats.

My blog is a tad boring, therefore I am going to have my 3d printer kill my cat and then bring it back to life because I don't want Tyke dead. I recently read that we can do this just nine times however. I have not discussed this opportunity with Tyke yet. Maybe I’ll mention it at ‘treat time’ later today.

While my printer turns out the next ‘killer’ product, we need to get back to that guidance thing. We need a rotating hub that connects the ‘upper suspension P- left’ to the ‘steering bracket left’ where we will mount the servo. And, this assembly needs to connect remotely to my Transmitter radio which serves as part of that Human Interface thingie we agreed upon a few posts ago.


Now will also be a great time to figure out how in the hell we will attach our fancy schmancy self- driving-wheel-left to the steering bracket that will then attach to the upper suspension arm. The good news is that as soon as we figure out the left side we can simply take the assembly to a mirror and look at the reflection for the right side config. (I think that is how it works in Autodesk123d.)

In summary, we have a lot of prototyping to do with lots of FUMU. Hopefully, you have been keeping notes because it very well might be on the first quarter quiz.

With only a couple of missed approaches, Bob now has a seemingly reasonable suspension that would make Ol’ Matt Damon proud.


I tried to take a worse pix but this was as bad as I could do.
 


For those of you non-engineering types (like me) this arrangement of suspension arms, swivels and wheels is simple and ingenious. (Though I did make a few Willy Mods to better accommodate Mother Earth, and my lack of engineering skills.)

Well, well, what do we have here? It actually works? Wailer Works now has completed the most significant scientific hurdle since Lewis married Clark. (Bet you didn’t see that coming did you?)

https://youtu.be/n2SFDCgvlyo

Ol’ Bob now has a completely functional locomotion plus guidance system.

Let’s see…what is left on our plate? Sustainability, Human Interface, Capabilities and the dreaded Artificial Intelligence (AI).

*Note: YES! I know that a guy was killed in NY by his  RC Heli a few years ago but it was not a quadcopter. It is like comparing a death due to a car to a train. Different category. Though they both fall under 'remotely uncontrolled'.

No comments:

Post a Comment